Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Ever-Elusive Pin Code

We received one of the infamous pin codes in the mail this week. This is the second one we've received...ever. What is a pin code? It's a non-transferable offer for a special discount or deal from Disney. Our first was for 40% of any resort stay for a specified time period--we used that one. The one we just received is for free Quick-Service Dining Plan when you purchase a 4-night/5-day Magic Your Way package, for most stays between now and July 3. Not a bad deal, but not quite as good as the current Disney Rewards Visa deal I told you about in this post, so I think we'll pass.

How does one go about receiving one of these mysterious codes? That's the thing--nobody really knows. It appears to be somewhat random, although here are a few things that might help your chances:

  • Sign up as a member on any Disney website.

  • Request a free Disney Planning DVD.

  • Request free Disney Parks maps.

  • Apply for a Disney Rewards Visa.

  • Make a purchase at www.DisneyStore.com.

  • Stay at a Disney resort...often.


The best way to increase your chances of receiving a pin code is to get in Disney's system any and every way you can. And I think the last item on the list--staying at a Disney resort--is perhaps the most important. In fact, I've never met anyone who had never been to WDW who received one of these pin codes. (I'm just saying, don't wait around for one of these codes before booking your first trip.)

Anybody out there ever received an awesome pin code? Let me hear about it in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. I just got my SECOND code this year! The first was for 30-40% off a stay (better discount for the higher class resorts) and today we got a flat 40% for any resort class. I am thinking it is because I've just started with DMR, shopping disneystore.com and we took a trip there this spring, but we stayed outside of the resort. I think they want us to come back & stay THERE. What do you think?

    I don't know if we can afford to go a second time this year, although I'm paying careful attention to your blog (and Kristen's too) to try & make it work in November or December. Hard to pass up 40% you know?

    PS- I don't know if I've ever commented before, but I love your blog. Thanks for all of the useful info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Affording the MouseJune 4, 2010 at 2:11 PM

    Thanks so much for the kind words! It IS hard to resist those pin codes, although I have. We actually went to WDW twice last year, but we did the second trip on a really low budget. You can also go and spend less time in the parks (therefore spending less on tickets) and do other on-site touring. That time of year, just visiting the resorts and seeing the decorations is a treat! And, yes, it's hard to pass up 40%--that's about as deep as the resort discounts get. Tough decision...:-)

    ReplyDelete