Monday, March 28, 2011

My Favorite Things

Just as Oprah has her annual "Favorite Things" show, I thought I would start a new feature to introduce you to a few of my favorite things at Walt Disney World. These will range from everything to a special dessert to a unique attraction or experience.

To kick things off, I'd like to share with you one of my favorite "special & unique" dining experiences at Walt Disney World--afternoon tea at the Garden View Lounge in the Grand Floridian Resort & Spa. Perhaps you're familiar with the extraordinary dining experiences at the Grand Floridian, such as Victoria & Albert's or even Narcoossee's, but you may not know about the small, elegant tea room located just off the main lobby.

With its lovely view of the beach and wedding gazebo, the atmosphere in this exclusive establishment is relaxing and breathtaking. Serving only from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily, the afternoon tea is a return to more civilized times when ladies sat down for a lovely afternoon snack, along with a pot of tea, and simply enjoyed each other's company. It's definitely a remarkable change from my usual Disney pace!

I consider myself a bit of a tea conniseur, with an affinity for English tea in particular, so I find the whole experience to be quite sublime. I've enjoyed talks here with a dear friend and special "mommy and me" times with my oldest daughter too. It's a rare treat to sit sipping tea in relative quiet--so unlike most other Disney experiences that tend to be more high-energy. It's all quite civilized, really. 

The offer tea selections for every pallete, from fruity to hearty, English varieties as well as Asian. The tea sandwiches are scrumptious, and don't even get me started about dessert! Who can resist a swan-shaped pastry? You can purchase items ala carte or get full tea service. (I usually order the Buckingham Palace Tea for around $20; they also offer a Grand Tea that includes sparkling wine for around $25.) They even offer a Mrs. Potts Tea service for children(around $11) that substitutes chocolate milk. (My daughter went for the real thing--she's an adventurous eater!)



I've yet to find an item on the menu that I don't like. The scones with Devonshire cream and preserves are quite good, and I'm a fan of the Gardenview Blend Tea--although I also recommend the Princess Breakfast Tea if you like to avoid caffeine.

Most of all, I recommend taking time out of what can sometimes be a breakneck schedule to enjoy the serenity that the perfect cup of tea can provide. And for one of the most unique dining experiences in all of Walt Disney World, the price is right too!



(Note: I do not recommend this experience for children under 5 unless they are extremely calm by nature. The tea room is a serene environment, and out of courtesy to other guests I would not bring a high-strung or extremely active child of any age into this setting.)

No comments:

Post a Comment