Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Favorite Desserts of Disney World

I'm a dessert person. You can keep your French fries and salty treats--I want the sugar! I thought it would be fun to highlight some of my favorite desserts--many of which are bargains--around Walt Disney World.



Topping off the list has to be the Mickey Premium Ice Cream Bar, not only for its simplicity and perfection in flavor and its iconic shape, but also for its portability! Who doesn't love a simple vanilla soft serve coated in rich, creamy, crunchy chocolate, shaped like Mickey on a stick? There are several theories about these beloved treats--some have guessed that they are actually Dove bars (not so, I'm told). The truth is, I'm not sure who makes them. Signage in the parks is confusing. The ice cream carts sell a variety of different products, and there are often different brand names on the signs--I've seen Edy's, Nestle, and Haagen Dazs. But does it really matter? They are spectacular! The bars themselves have changed a few times over the years, but they always retain their deliciousness. You used to be able top buy a version of them (made by Good Humor) from ice cream trucks and at some grocery stores. But don't be fooled--these were not the real Mickey Premium Ice Cream Bars. To get one of these, you need to visit one of the Disney Parks. It will set you back a mere $3.25

Coming in a close second for me would be the Carrot Cake Cookie, sold at the Writer's Stop in Disney's Hollywood Studios. This is essentially a version of a Whoopie Pie, with carrot cake in place of the cookie and cream cheese frosting in the middle. This treat is big--too much for one person--and more "cake" than "carrot"--without the annoying raisins or nuts you sometimes find in carrot cake. (OK, I actually like the nuts, butmy daughter is allergic.) The icing is amazing--the perfect amount of rich sweetness, without overpowering the cookie. At around $3, it's another Disney food bargain. I'm salivating just thinking about it now!



Finally, rounding out my top 3 is the Chocolate Mousse served at Boulangerie Patisserie. If you're not looking for it, you could miss this little bakery in the rear of the France pavilion at Epcot, but--trust me--it is well worth going out your way to find it. Nothing on the menu is over $7, and they serve up various desserts and savory light bites (light as in small--not light on calories), including quiche, croissants, a cheese plate, and my favorite French treat, the chocolate mousse. I've actually made their recipe at home, and it's almost as good as they serve! Light and fluffy, you just can't beat it for $3.50!

My final "Honorable Mention" choice is the School Bread found in the Kringla Bakeri in Norway (Epcot). If you're not a fan of coconut, you need not apply. But if you are, you'll love this bargain pastry (around $2). The toasted coconut on top was just divine, and it gave me the flavor of coconut cream pie in the consistency of a donut or cream puff.

As you can probably guess, price plays an important role in making a treat from Disney one of my favorites. I have had other fabulous desserts on property, but these are the ones that we consistently return to--and they never disappoint. Try one on your next visit to the World!

4 comments:

  1. That carrot cake cookie sounds really good. Got to put that on the list to try, next time we are at Disney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's yummalicious! Well worth looking up the Writer's Stop for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are these approved snacks on the meal plan?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent question. My family doesn't use the dining plan, as we almost always find a better deal/discount that doesn't include it, so I don't have personal experience on this one. But I'm sure the Mickey bars are, and I'm betting the others might be (and it might just depend on how accomodating a particular Cast Member is on a particular day). The official brochure says that a snack is considered a single serving of popcorn, fruit, chips, milk, an ice cream novelty, or a non-alcoholic beverage. But most people report that they can use their credits throughout the Parks on any item under $4. Since each of these items is under the limit, I'd certainly give it a try!

    ReplyDelete