Wednesday, February 16, 2011

ABC's and 123's Take a Backseat to Social Values

So it would seem that the switch from Playhouse Disney to Disney Junior is more than just a name change and an eventual shift to a network of all preschool programming. Disney is, in fact, shifting the message. I may be overreacting but, quite frankly, it concerns me.

Here's the article from the Los Angeles Times that has spawned my latest beef with the Disney Channel and TV in general. Apparently, letting the talking box teach our kids ABC's and 123's is no longer enough...we parents need it to teach our kids "social values." The problem with this, of course, is that "social values" consist of a very broad spectrum, with parents falling all along this arc. When a network decides to impart a message to our children, we as parents need to know that said message aligns with our values system before we allow them to get sucked in to a show.

Of course, television programming has always had its subtle--and not-so-subtle--ways of imparting values. And not always values that I can support. No, I'm not opposed to the basic "let's all get along and be kind to our friends" message, but I do take issue with anyone who tries to impose their belief system on my children under the guise of "every good, reasonable person should think this way." That is my job as a parent, not TV's job.

So I will be watching...watching with my children. No more unmonitored TV in our home. And, if I see things I don't like, we will be tuning out. (I've already done this on a few Disney Channel shows. I'm not a fan of "Shake It Up." Those kids are just too snarky!) I love Disney, and I appreciate most of the Disney Channel's programming. But I will not allow the television to teach my children what they should believe. Their father and I will do that, thank you very much.

3 comments:

  1. You go, Momma! We don't have cable so watching Disney is out of the picture. We watch a lot of PBS and a lot of their shows are on my "we watch something else or play in our room time" list for the same reasons.
    I would rather channels leave the 'social' teachings out of it and would like them to stick with ABC's and 123's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I haven't noticed ABC's and 123's on Disney Channel for some time. Years ago they had "clay" that emphasized that type of learning inbetween shows. I have been using PBS channels more for letter recognition, etc. I wish Disney Channel would add some more instructional type learning into their programming. As with any channel, parents should watch with their children a few times to make sure it meets their approval or watch with them simply to discuss/clarify during the programming. I really dislike SpongeBob Squarepants on Nick and have seen some episodes that are clearly inappropriate. I allow my children to watch it very infrequently and I watch with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will say that most episodes of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse have some sort of counting or numbers focus. And Special Agent Oso sometimes teaches with its 3-step sequence that it features. And I do like the musical terms and appreciation taught by Little Einsteins. So I find that much of the preschool programming has some educational emphasis. Beyond that age group, however, not so much.

    We rarely watch Nick shows (Dora and Diego are about the only ones we allow), and SpongeBob is forbidden in our home. The shows that we usually outlaw have characters who are rude, snarky, or disrespectfu.

    ReplyDelete