Friday, February 11, 2011

A Minor Rant Against Disney Channel

I'm pretty picky about what I allow my girls to watch. But for the most part, with a few exceptions (Shake It Up being the latest added to the "forbidden" list), they are allowed to watch almost anything on Disney Channel. And Playhouse Disney (soon to be Disney Junior) has always been a "safe" zone.

Except for one little thing: Choo Choo Soul. Now, don't get me wrong--most of the time I like the little ditties they sing. It's creative how they put live actors and children in front of animation--very cute and fun. But is it too much for me to expect Disney NOT to teach my children bad grammar? Here's an excerpt from a CCS tune that has been airing for at least a couple of years (maybe more) now: "Everybody's got theyown style of rhythm..." What?!? Seriously, Disney?!? While I can appreciate stylistic liberties when it comes to artistic endeavors, when we're dealing with the preschool set, can we really afford to start out teaching them improper grammar?

I got so annoyed the first time that I heard it that I was compelled to email Disney Channel and complain. As an aside, here's something else I learned about Disney: if you want to buy something or get more information on something within the Parks (anything that might lead you to spending your hard-earned dollars on their product), there will be multiple ways to contact Disney (phone, email link, address). But if you want to complain, you're on your own trying to figure out who and how to contact them! I did find an email address for someone at the Disney Channel, but who knows if I was remotely in the right area. Needless to say, I didn't receive a response.

And yet I can't imagine that I'm the only parent bothered by this. Am I? The song continues to run...I've heard it twice in the last couple of weeks. And each time, it's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Please, dear Disney, stop the bad grammar insanity!

5 comments:

  1. Hey this ghetto choo choo soul thing is so terrible. They must have spent like $6 on the cgi and 1min picking out wardrobes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, for the most part I can't stand it, Instead of All aboard the Choo Choo Train I end up singing All Aboard the Ghetto Train. The girls singing is seriously nails on a chalkboard to me, especially the slower songs, UGGH, The bare necessities song , is sheer torture. And the guy basically does nothing. I'd rather hear him sing. Sesame Street has gone ghetto enough, do we really need Disney following in their footsteps??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in total agreement. It is just sad that everyone who has a problem with it instantly gains the label of racist. I don't care who it is or if they are white black purple green or any other color... what I mind is that my child repeats the poor English that is spewed out. I am all for exposing my children to other cultures, but I prefer to expose them to things that will not teach them to speak poorly or be ghetto fabulous. Everyone claims that the problem with America is that people are not tolerant. The problem with America is that we are so worried about adapting to every other culture that's here that we sacrifice education and work ethic and we shy away every time anyone claims we shouldn't have religion, family values, etc. Jake and the Never Land pirates is a good show - a "mixed" crew, working together and getting along, but they are not trying to cram political correctness down our throats. It is sad to go on to other websites that are pumping "tolerance" and realize that those people are so high on political correctness that they hate their own skin color.

    ReplyDelete