Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Thursday's Tip

Today's tip is near and dear to my heart. You see, I have a child with a severe allergy to tree nuts. Pistachios and cashews, to be precise. One bite can send her into anaphylaxis (that's very, very bad).  So we are always vigilant about avoiding allergens when we eat away from home. My tip? When eating anywhere on Disney property, inform the Cast Member serving you of your dietary restrictions. (A no-brainer, right? But read on for more details.)

On our first trip after discovering our daughter's allergy, I was still in that "anxious mom" mode, navigating the minefield of hazardous food. So when I called to make our ADRs (Advanced Dining Reservations), I mentioned Reagan's allergy. I was told that it had been noted but that it would also be a good idea to mention it upon arrival at each restaurant. When we finally made it to WDW and arrived at our first scheduled meal, I was pleasantly surprised upon check-in that the Cast Member immediately mentioned the allergy before I even had the chance. (It really had been noted!) She also told me that a chef would come to our table to talk to us once we were seated. Which was exactly what happened! The very helpful chef asked the specifics of Reagan's allergy. He then gave us the "all clear" on most of the buffet items and pointed out the two or three items that Reagan should avoid. This process was repeated at every meal we had planned. I was one impressed--and relieved--Mama!

But Disney isn't just prepared to handle food allergies. They can guide you to make safe food choices for a variety of health concerns, such as diabetes, or other dietary restrictions, such as eating Kosher or being vegan.

I really can't praise Disney enough for how they turn what could be a very stressful, anxiety-inducing experience into a pleasant and fear-free one!

No comments:

Post a Comment