Tuesday, February 9, 2010

He Went to Disney World!

At the risk of alienating some readers, I'm just going to say it: I hate football. I'm sorry. I have tried to like it. Really I have. My tiny high school didn't have a team (I'm from Indiana, where basketball is THE sport), so when I dated a football player from another school, he tried to teach me about football. To this day, I do not understand it. I'm not stupid (hey, I was valedictorian in high school and graduated magna cum laude from college)...just not motivated, I guess.



With that disclaimer out of the way, my favorite part of any major sporting event always comes at the end. It goes a little something like this:
Announcer: "Drew Brees, you just won the Super Bowl! What are you going to do next?"

MVP: "I'm going to Disney World!"

And, indeed, he did! Quarterback of the New Orleans, Drew Brees, was greeted by a ticker-tape parade at the Magic Kingdom on Monday. From the looks of things, he brought a few Saints fans with him! Brees rode in a convertible with Mickey, who was clad in his own football uniform with a super-sized helmet. The crowd and Cast Members were cheering together as the brief parade passed.

While I'm not a huge fan of the game, I do like Drew Brees. I think he's a class act--well spoken and a true humanitarian. To find out more about his charity work, visit www.drewbrees.com.

2 comments:

  1. Do you know who was the first SB MVP to say he was going to Disneyworld?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know...so I just had to find out! According to Wikipedia, it was Phil Simms:
    In his 1998 memoir Work in Progress, Disney CEO Michael Eisner credited his wife, Jane, with the idea for the campaign. According to Eisner, during the January 1987 grand opening for the Star Tours attraction at Disneyland, the couple dined with Dick Rutan and Jeana Yeager, who in December 1986 had piloted the first aircraft to fly around the world without stopping or refueling. After Jane Eisner asked what the pilots planned to do next, they replied, "Well, we're going to Disneyland." She later told her husband the phrase would make a great advertising campaign.

    Weeks later, Disney launched the series following Super Bowl XXI on January 25, 1987 with a commercial featuring New York Giants quarterback Phil Simms. Simms was paid a reported $75,000 for his participation.The company later aired three more ads that year with other athletes following major sports championships.

    In subsequent years, Disney reportedly has offered $30,000 to athletes and other stars for participating in the ads and appearing at one of its theme parks.

    ReplyDelete