Monday, May 9, 2011

Walt and El Grupo

I really enjoy Disney-related documentaries. I especially enjoyed Waking Sleeping Beauty, which chronicles the revitalization of Disney animation that took place in the 1990s. This week, I've been watching Walt and El Grupo on streaming Netflix for Wii. (Not trying to plug Netflix, but I do find myself watching a lot of things I might never think about, were they not suggested to me via Netflix...and since I don't usually get to sit through a complete movie at home, I love that it lets me resume right where I left off!).

Honestly, I was less interested in this Disney documentary than I have been in others. I really didn't know what it was all about. And although this story doesn't have a huge climax or even a truly linear story, it is packed full of personal letters, film, and photographs of the two-month South American tour .

A little back story: This trip was actually arranged by the US government in 1941, as a part of what was called the "Good Neighbor Policy." In reality, there were some real concerns at this time in history about the Nazi and Fascist influence that might be infiltrating South America. While the Disney trip was not political in nature, it certainly was politically driven.

The "Grupo" of Disney artists, animators, administrators, and, of course, Walt himself toured explored several South American countries--experiencing the culture, food, and music. Their experiences were recorded on film but also in hundreds of sketches created by the talented artists on hand.

So what does this all mean to the history of Disney? Well, this trip certainly inspired Saludos Amigos and The Three Caballeros--and probably more than a few other Disney attractions, if we're looking closely enough (enchanted Tiki Room comes to mind). But perhaps even more significant is the animator strike that was in full swing as the delegation left California. A very dark time personally for Walt, one has to wonder if perhaps this trip might have been a personal reprieve for him from the strife he was facing at the studios.

If you enjoy Disney history, and even world history in general, told from a personal perspective, you'll enjoy Walt and El Grupo.

No comments:

Post a Comment