Saturday, May 7, 2011

Animal Kingdom Wins Kentucky Derby!

Animal Kingdom SilksSo, some of you may not know that I grew up in Kentuckian--that's basically the parts of Indiana and Kentucky that surround the Ohio River and, more specifically, Louisville, Kentucky. So, yes, I have been hearing about the Kentucky Derby my whole life. I must admit that when I moved to Nashville, it made me a little sad that no one hear seems to know or even care that the first Saturday in May is Derby day. Having lived her for over 15 years now, I even find myself forgetting until the last minute.

And so it wasn't until this very afternoon that I got online and looked up the field to pick my horse. I used to choose my horse primarily by jockey (loved me some Pat Day!) or even trainer, but these days, I don't know the players well enough to do that...so I just go by name. Was there really any question who I would choose? Why, yes, I was routing for Animal Kingdom!

As my 7-year-old lay sick on the couch (sad face), I had the volume turned down on the TV and actually missed the start of the race. But as soon as I realized it had started, I got up to see where my horse was in the field. Quite frankly, it didn't look good. And then, all of a sudden, AK started making the move! I'm not trying to say I was responsible for this win...but things did start turning once I started engaging and cheering. So, ya know, if you want to give me credit...how could I argue with that?

Congratulations, Animal Kingdom! Sure wish I had been there to place my bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment