Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Dangerous Dining: Another Reason I Love Disney

I specifically recall the conversation I had with one of the moms at my daughter's preschool. Well, conversation may not be the right word...it was more of a monologue. And as I listened to her complaining that we weren't allowed to bring certain allergens in our children's lunches, I think I may have nodded or offered passive assent. It wasn't really intentional--if anything, I was nodding in agreement that, yes, it was a pain to have to figure out what my kid might eat besides peanut butter. I do remember feeling she was being a bit harsh as she asserted, as a former dietitian, that she believed that most kids with "allergies" didn't really have an allergy--just an intolerance. Not having the energy or the motivation to disagree with an "expert" (in her own mind), I let it go.

Flash forward a few weeks. I was eating pistachios while sitting on the couch and reading when my oldest (then four) asked for one. I hesitated...but she was now old enough, according to all the parenting books and websites, to eat nuts. (Yes, I was and still am a "by the book" parent.) I gave her one...just one! She popped it in her mouth and went back to the Disney Princess website she was exploring on the computer. Within a minute or so, she was complaining that her throat hurt. She was nearly crying, trying to express to me how bad it was...that it really hurt and she didn't like it! My first thought was that she hadn't chewed, that she swallowed it whole and it was scraping on the way down. (Looking back, I now know this was a sign of respiratory distress and anaphylaxis.) I offered her a drink to wash it down. When that didn't offer much relief, I gave her a piece of bread to help push it down. She continued to complain, but seemed less upset and insistent on how much it hurt and felt strange. Within the hour, her face had swollen up like a basketball.

To shorten this already long story, after multiple calls to the triage nurse, we were able to eventually control the swelling with repeated doses of Benadryl. A visit to the pediatrician and a pediatric allergist confirmed our suspicion: Reagan is allergic to tree nuts. While no food allergy is a blessing, we feel fortunate that it's only tree nuts (specifically pistachios, cashews, and walnuts, but we avoid all tree nuts for cross-contamination's sake) and that Reagan can still have peanuts. Yes, birthday parties and covered-dish meals are a mine field for us. We carry an epi-pen everywhere we go--including Disney World. Yes, I get asked daily by my anxious daughter if something has tree nuts, if I read the label, and if I am sure...multiple times. But I am glad she is careful.

If I had the chance to talk with that preschool mom again I would tell her that although I never wished to be, I am now the expert on food allergies. I would tell her that being a dietitian doesn't make her an allergist, and kids that have nut allergies really do face life-threatening reaction if they're exposed. And I would tell her that, although I don't expect the world to cater to my child with an allergy, I personally will do anything I can to do to protect any child from experiencing what my daughter experienced.

So what does this all have to do with Disney World? In all our encounters of dining with a food allergy, we have never had better experiences than what we've had at WDW. They are truly creating safe, enjoyable dining experiences for guests with all manner of food allergies, intolerance, and any other special dietary needs. As the mother of a child that stresses over every bite she puts in her mouth, I am put completely at ease by the way Disney handles special food requests. I know my child is safe, and that helps us all enjoy a worry-free vacation.

There are a few things you should know. First, when making ADRs for table service restaurants, ALWAYS note the food allergy on your reservation. It's always a good idea to remind the host/hostess when checking in at the restaurant (usually they mention it before I have a chance to remind them!).  When you are seated, in most cases a chef will visit your table and guide you as to what you can safely eat and what you should avoid at that restaurant. At counter service restaurants, you'll need to ask about allergens. They often have a list (sometimes in a notebook) of which items contain certain allergens. Most Disney restaurants can accommodate nut, dairy, gluten, seafood, and other common allergy requests. You can visit Disney's page on special dietary requests here. Or, contact the representative for each of the Disney World parks via phone or email if you have specific questions:

Disney’s Animal Kingdom
407-938-3288
WdwakSpecialDiets@email.disney.com

Disney’s Hollywood Studios
407-560-3551
WdwStSpecialDiets@email.disney.com

Epcot
407-560-6395
WdwEcSpecialDiets@email.disney.com

Magic Kingdom
407-824-5967
WdwMkSpecialDiets@email.disney.com

By the way, if you neglect to note an allergy on an ADR--as I did on our Wishes Dessert Buffet!--all is not lost. We told the Cast Member at the check-in desk, and they immediately produced a 3-ring binder with a list of all the buffet items and what allergens they may contain--even if only traces. (Our biggest downfall is "may be processed on shared equipment with items containing tree nuts.") We were able to chose the items that would be safe for Reagan and proceed with our evening. By the way, if we had remembered to note the allergy on our reservation, Reagan would have received her very own tray of nut-free goodies.  

I'm a Disney fan for a lot of reasons, but perhaps nothing makes me love Disney more than their willingness to go above and beyond to accommodate the special needs of their guests, enabling ALL guests to have a great vacation experience. This mom appreciates that more than I can express.

No comments:

Post a Comment