Thursday, October 6, 2011

Theatrical Re-Release Dates for More Disney Films



On the tails of the recent re-release of The Lion King in theatres--and its obvious success--Disney has just announced the theatrical re-release of several more Disney and Pixar films. They will all be available in 3D, which seems to be the new norm for Disney. Here are the dates:

  • Beauty and the Beast: Jan. 13, 2012

  • Finding Nemo: Sept. 14, 2012

  • Monsters, Inc.: Jan. 18, 2013

  • The Little Mermaid: Sept. 13, 2013


And, although this is merely speculation, I did see an additional list (a comment on a fan site, so take it for what it's worth) that takes the schedule through 2017. These releases include: Aladdin (Jan. 2014), The Incredibles (Sept. 2014), Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 (Jan. 2015), Sleeping Beauty (Sept. 2015), Alice in Wonderland (Jan. 2016), Pocahontas (Sept. 2016), Mulan (Jan. 2017), and Treasure Planet (Sept. 2017). If this is accurate, I would expect these to all get the 3D treatment as well.

Does anyone out there remember the days when you actually had to wait for a theatrical re-release if you wanted to see an old movie again? Ya know, the days before VCRs and DVD and Blu-ray players? Fun times! Although my girls are big fans of all of these movies, it will be the first time they see most of them on the big screen. They'll have to wait almost two years for the one they're most excited about (Little Mermaid), so I hope their enthusiasm for Princess movies doesn't wane before then!


2 comments:

  1. I remember when all of the old movies were re-released in theaters and saw them all as a kid. My oldest was 6 when Beauty and the Beast was re-released for IMAX and I still remember the amazed look on his face when he saw a favorite movie in huge, breathtaking color.
    My younger kids got to see Lion King in 3D recently and it was an incredible experience -- and I'm not really a 3D fan. Of the next four Disney 3D releases, I think I'd be most interested to see Finding Nemo in 3D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seen The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast in 3D. They both were incredible. And I was hoping that Aladdin will be re-release in Theaters. I would to experience old Disney Classics in theaters. So, I really looking forward for The Little Mermaid.

    ReplyDelete