Monday, September 12, 2011

Trip Prep: The Packing Begins!

I'm a planner. (Gee, how's that for stating the obvious?) I typically start gathering items for our next Disney vacation up to a month or more in advance. And while there were a few items I began to stockpile this past month (mostly food items), I just began packing in earnest this weekend--and we leave on Friday! Ack!

Here's how I do it: I start pulling clothes from the girls' closets/wardrobes that I think might fit and be appropriate for the trip. Then, with much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I get the girls to try on anything I'm unsure about, so that I can put items into complete outfits. (Yes, that's my un-made bed underneath the clothes. Please don't judge me...it was a very busy weekend.)



Finally, when I've added underwear and socks to the mix, I put complete outfits into Ziploc bags. I don't use a vacuum system, but I do try to squeeze the excess air out of the bags for space efficiency. (I'm sure my daughter will really appreciate her underwear making an appearance in this photo.)



Now, all I have to do each morning of the trip is hand the each girl a bag, and they'll have everything they need (minus shoes) to get themselves dressed! I've gone so far as to actually put matching hairbows/barrettes in each bag too (they're kinda over the whole hairbow thing at this point). It makes for a much smoother start to everyone's day when we're not searching for a matching pair of socks or the shirt that goes with someone's favorite skirt. So easy, and so worth the effort!

1 comment:

  1. Love this tip! We are taking our (4) 7 year-olds to Disney World for the first time in December. I will be using this tip for sure! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete