Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Thursday's Tip

Here's a tip that's just for me: follow your own advice! For everyone else, I guess the tip would be: follow the tips you learn here at Affording the Mou$e.

OK, I have a few confessions to make...I let my guard down a few times on our most recent trip and didn't always follow the tips I give to others. And it cost me. No, nothing that ruined my trip. But a few things that caused us a bit of added frustration or time. Here are a few examples:

  • Use online check-in...and do it as early as you can (10 days prior to your arrival). I did this for All-Star Sports, and it worked out great. The only details we had to handle at check-in were paying the remainder of our bill and getting our "Key to the World" cards and info packet. Breezy. But I didn't use online check-in with the Grand Floridian. Honestly, I was hopeful that by showing up in person--on the eve of my 40th birthday--that I might have a better chance at a room upgrade. And, ya know, it almost worked...almost. I could actually hear the concierge on the phone with someone, and he said, "Take a look at the comments section," just as he began making me a birthday button. But apparently, they didn't have a room available at that time, so I then heard him say, "So, I'll just put her back where I had her then." Bummer. Serious bummer. Got my hopes up for nothing. Making matters worse, my regular room wasn't ready until after 3:00--even though I arrived at around 9:30 a.m. to attempt check-in. Using online check-in would likely have at least secured me a room sooner. And if you aren't satisfied with the room you're given through online check-in, you can always request to be moved. Lesson learned.

  • Use Fastpass. Yes, we used it most of the time (except for waits less than 20 minutes, and even then sometimes). But on our Animal Kingdom day, we decided that we would wait 30 minutes to ride Kali River Rapids, rather than come back in a couple of hours when the Fastpass window would have allowed. We were willing and prepared to wait the alotted time--except that the wait was actually more than 50 minutes! It's good that I got soaked on the ride, because I needed to cool down (both literally and figuratively) after that wait.

  • If it's your birthday, let everyone know! I had intended to wear my birthday button all week, but I kept forgetting or taking it off for one reason or another. But I received birthday "gifts" in some surprising places. For example, at the Studio Catering Company, on the day before my birthday, a Cast Member offered me free dessert as I was picking up our food--simply because she saw my button. I wondered how many free desserts I might have missed out on earlier in the week by not wearing it faithfully.

  • If it's your birthday and you're eating at a table service restaurant, don't order dessert. (OK, this one wasn't actually a matter of not following my advice...I just thought it was worth bringing up here.) As I mentioned in my food post, I was pretty disappointed to discover that the birthday dessert I received at Les Chefs de France was actually the one that came with my pre fixe menu. Had I not ordered any dessert, I still would have received it--but it would have been free. I cheated myself out of a free dessert, and that was a sour note at the end of my birthday celebration--and one that could have been avoided.

  • Always ask a Cast Member the current parade route. It just so happened that the evening parade was going the opposite direction that I thought it would on this particular visit. This cost us some precious time in getting to our perfect spot to view Tinkerbell's flight during Wishes. (We wanted to see the "Let the Memories Begin" show on the castle then watch Tink fly before making our escape to Adventureland.) We still made it in time, but we had to miss some of the Main Street Electrical Parade to do it. A rookie mistake that I am ashamed to admit.


I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones that come to mind. I know this stuff. Really, I do. But even veteran Disney guests make mistakes now and then. Learn from me...do as I say, not as I do. Avoid stress by sticking to the plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment