Saturday, June 25, 2011

Cars 2 Review

Before I jump into my assessment of Cars 2, I want to take a moment for a "bargain brag": our family of four saw the movie yesterday for just $9! How? We got 2 free tickets (up to $8.50 value each) by purchasing Cars and The Incredibles on Blu-ray (and I got those at a bargain price with coupons too!). For the remaining two tickets, we used the Fandango deal we recently purchased from Groupon--two tickets for $9. Voila! Four tickets to see Cars 2 on opening night for just $9.

So...the movie. Although I won't go so far as to say I didn't like it, I can't say that it falls among my favorite Disney/Pixar films. For starters, Cars 2 was missing so many of the things our family enjoyed about the original: the NASCAR theme (my husband is a huge fan), character development (I honestly can't even remember the names of most of the new characters, much less understand their personalities), and good storytelling. This sequel is much more action-oriented, and the story takes a backseat. Oh, and if you were hoping for a Lightning McQueen-centered film, you're out of luck. Mater is definitely the star of this one.

Don't get me wrong: there are funny moments and some fun "Easter eggs" to be found, but, in my not-so-humble opinion, this movie lacks the heart of the original. Do I recommend seeing it? Sure...I mean, it is a Disney film. And if our experience is any indication, everybody is seeing it--our enormous theatre was sold out, as were most of the showings yesterday. Bottom line: it's not the best movie of the summer, but it's a fun family outing that will make the kiddos happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment