Sunday, April 10, 2011

Fall Homeschool Days Announced

I've been anxiously awaiting the announcement of dates for the fall Homeschool Days at Walt Disney World. After a great experience at last year's Homeschool Days (you can read about it here), we were all set  to go again this year. But after multiple calls and emails to no avail (Disney seemed to be dragging their feet a bit in releasing the dates), we decided we needed go forward with planning our fall vacation. Instead of the Homeschool Days, we're taking advantage of Disney's individual enrollment for their YES programs (a similar experience to Homeschool Days that you can read about here).

All that explanation to say...today I was perusing the Youth Programs website and discovered that they actually had a listing for fall registration for Homeschool Days! No, you cannot register just yet...and they don't have the complete list of programs...but they did list the date and theme of the special presentation that is included with your registration/ticket purchase.

The program will be October 3, and here's a brief summary of the presentation: 
Join us as a Walt Disney World® Resort Chef uses his culinary expertise to teach your homeschooler how to create a healthy lifestyle through the science of food. During this interactive presentation, students will hear why it's important to eat a balanced diet, how to make healthy food choices and even learn to prepare a delicious, good-for-you recipe.

Sounds fun! We're a little sad that we won't be hanging with our fellow homeschoolers this year, but I'm super excited to instead be spending my 40th birthday at our family's favorite vacation spot.

6 comments:

  1. I just talked to a Disney Youth Cast member and basically the only info anyone has right now is the date. She did tell me to keep checking the website every Tuesday as that is when they post updates and we should see the itenerary and registration information very soon. I'm still on the fence as I can't seem to get a good idea of how heavily attended HSD are and am afraid if it is much more crowded than when we typically go (3rd week of Oct.) that I will never hear the end of it and it will put a damper on our trip. I wish I could find more first hand info online.

    How awesome that you are going to get to spend your bday at WDW!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Affording the MouseApril 11, 2011 at 2:49 AM

    Last year the Homeschool Days were in early September, and I can tell you that they did NOT seem to make the parks any more crowded. (They are not heavily attended--it's one of the best kept secrets around. Like you, I had trouble finding any info on the event last year.) In fact, the day of the actual presentation for all those registered, the Studios was almost empty--even with all the homeschoolers there. However, moving them out into October might add to the crowd a bit, due to fall breaks. Still, the crowd calendar calls for no higher than a 3 on a scale of 1-10 for the week surrounding Oct. 3--almost the same as the 3rd week of Oct.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are still trying to decide if we want to do the Homeschool days or the individual enrollment for their YES programs. Do you how much of a discount they give on the on site resort rooms?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Affording the MouseApril 11, 2011 at 6:01 AM

    I'm not aware of a resort discount for individual enrollment, or even for Homeschool Days. (They secure a block of rooms, but I'm not sure they are discounted at all.) They offer group discounts when 10 or more rooms are booked together, but I don't think they do otherwise for these programs. If you find out otherwise, I'd love to hear details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must of been thinking since they have discount tickets that they gave discount room rates. Oh well I'll keep waiting for fall specials to come out (hopefully) or stay off property.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much. It's so hard to judge by the information that I have found online. We have a theme park near us (Dollywood) and I have heard that it is incredibly crowded for their homeschool day so I was afraid that might be the case at WDW as well but of course there aren't 4 parks to spread out to after the original presentation is over either so I'm sure that makes a really big difference too. I'm leaning more and more to just taking the plunge!! Thanks again for your help!

    ReplyDelete