Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Favorite Disney Recipe

We all have our favorite Walt Disney World dishes, am I right? I am particularly fond of the chocolate  mousse served at  (France, Epcot). I also love the cheddar cheese soup at Le Cellier (Canada, Epcot) and the carrot cake cookie that can be found at the Studios in the Writer's Stop (haven't found a good recipe for that one yet--boo!). So, I thought I would periodically share recipes that will allow you to recreate some Disney favorites in your own kitchen.


Tonga Toast has been served at the Polynesian Resort for over 25 years, and, quite frankly, I'm ashamed to say I have never tried it. But those who have rave about it. Perhaps I'll start with the recreation in my own kitchen and then make a stop at 'Ohana on my next visit to see how well I did. Here's the recipe:


Ingredients:


  • slices sourdough bread cut 1-2 inches thick

  • bananas

  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar

  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon

  • 1 egg

  • 1/4 cup milk

  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • oil for frying

  • whipped butter & maple syrup


Preparation:


Mix sugar and cinnimon, and set aside.


Depending on the size of the bread slices, dig out a 1 inch pocket in one side of the bread slice (do NOT cut all the way through the bread). Peel banana and cut in half crosswise, then again lengthwise. Stuff two pieces in each pocket.


Mix egg, milk and vanilla extract until well blended. Heat about 4 inches of oil in a pan to 350 degrees (it's important that the oil temperature be precise, so as not to burn the toast). Dip stuffed bread into egg mixture, allowing it to soak in but not get soggy. Fry in hot oil until lightly brown, turning to brown both sides. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Serve with whipped butter and maple syrup, if desired.


Mmmmm! I think I need to go shopping now. Breakfast is over...do you think it would be OK to serve for dinner? (Hey, there's fruit in it--it's gotta be healthy, right?)


No comments:

Post a Comment