Saturday, January 22, 2011

Splash Mountain Installing Lap Bars



Yep, it's true. Splash Mountain is finally putting an end to guests' attempts to stand while the log boats are in motion by installing lap bars. When I fist heard of this change, my reaction was one of relief and approval. I am all about safety, and this makes me feel a bit better about plummeting down that giant hill with my four-year-old. However, after reading a few message boards and fan sites, there are a few drawbacks I should mention.

First, seating capacity will be cut. Currently, there is a maximum seating capacity of 12 riders per boat. Each of the four rows can seat either a) two adults, b) two adults plus a small child, c) one adult and two children, or d) three children. With the installation of the lap bars, the seating capacity for each row is two, regardless of the size of the passengers. Thus, a maximum capacity of 8 per boat.

Second, because of these new lap belts, Disney will increase the launch time between boats from 12.5 seconds to somewhere between 15 and 20 seconds. This allows the extra loading time needed to make sure those safety bars are down and locked.

Bottom line: the wait time at this already popular ride is about to increase--and mostly because of adrenaline-junkie guests who think it's cool to try to stand while the boat is taking the aforementioned hill.

Still, the protective mommy in me is in favor of this change. Safety first!

1 comment:

  1. [...] seem that reports that these bars would limit the maximum boat capacity to only 8, as I told you in this post, have apparently been grossly exaggerated (well, maybe not grossly…but, yes, exaggerated). I [...]

    ReplyDelete