Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Note to My Readers

Dear readers, I must apologize for my lack of posts the past few days. If you're not from the Nashville area, you may not be aware of the severity of the flooding that has taken place here. With other major news stories occupying the lion's share of air time, our story seems to have fallen off the radar, so to speak. But our dear city has suffered a catastrophic event, one that we will be recovering from for months or perhaps years.

Thankfully, my family and belongings were all spared. I feel so fortunate to live on a hill (something I always complain about when the winter ice storms hit this area). Just a few miles away, residents lost lives, homes, vehicles, and other possessions. Over twenty people perished.

As a community, we're on water restriction, being asked to cut our consumption in half and refrain from any optional water use. Our city landmarks, such as the Grand Ole Opry House, the Opryland Hotel, the Bridgestone Arena, Schermerhorn Symphony Center, and LP Field were all at least partially under water. Some of you may have seen the amazing footage of a portable school building floating down the interstate and then falling apart. That happened about two miles from our home. In one neighborhood, a house now sits in the middle of the street blocking traffic, having been lifted completely from its foundation.

I write all this not only to explain why I've been a bit absent with my posts ( a bit of a preoccupation--or perhaps obsession--with the local news coverage and checking up on friends via Facebook, and also having my oldest daughter home from school until further notice) but also to present some opportunities to help.

If you're local, you can log on to Hands on Nashville (www.hon.org) for volunteer opportunities. Also, there are dozens of local churches that are accepting donations of clothing, food, hygiene products, etc. for those who have lost possessions. (If you need some ideas, email/message me, and I'll point you to a church in your area where you can drop off items.) Another way to help, of course, is to give financially.

While I truly appreciate the American Red Cross and how they are often the first responders to this type of event, I would like to respectfully suggest a few other organizations that get a little less press, but are helping with the flood efforts too, and could use your donations:

There is no right or wrong way to give. Whether you have time, supplies, or money, the people of Nashville and surrounding areas sure could use your help.

I hope to be back to some sort of normal posting schedule next week. Until then, I'll be sure to post anything huge or time-sensitive...but my perspective on what's important--even when it comes to Walt Disney World--has changed a bit this week. Today, I'm mostly feeling grateful to have escaped the worst and proud to be a part of a community that is persevering through this disaster.

6 comments:

  1. Denise-ScrapmouseMay 5, 2010 at 2:59 AM

    Glad to hear you are fine and our thoughts & prayers are with you and your community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Affording the MouseMay 5, 2010 at 3:12 AM

    Thank you. We're doing great, but I'm finding it continually frustrating that the news media doesn't see this for what it is--the biggest flood in Nashville's history. Maybe it's because we aren't looting or fighting for what's left. People are giving, helping, and comforting--but that doesn't make for exciting headlines. Still, we need people to know what's going on, because there are so many that need help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I follow your posts and had no idea you were from Nashville. I too live here and it is terrible how our city if suffering. It makes me smile of all the volunteers that are helping and that crimes aren't up and it's people helping people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Living in the northern suburbs of Atlanta, our area experienced terrible flooding in September. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone in Nashville. So glad to hear your family was spared.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Affording the MouseMay 5, 2010 at 5:50 AM

    Yes, Shellie, I remember! My brother & family live in Stone Mountain, so we were keeping a close eye on the news then too.

    Jodi, if you're local, I'm having a little (FREE) Disney gathering this Saturday. Send me an email (affordingthemouse at att dot net), and I'd be happy to send you an invitation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Denise-ScrapmouseMay 5, 2010 at 6:15 PM

    The flooding in Nashville has been on the news here (AZ) and I've seen it as a major headline on Good Morning America the last few mornings, you know the news they cover at the top of the hour. It's been one of three major stories along with the Gulf Coast oil spill and the attempted car bombing in NY. So don't feel left out, because it is in the news. And thanks for letting us how we can help. I'm sure a lot of us would like to send care packages, but it looks like money may be the best donation right now. Again, thoughts and prayers go out to everyone in the flooded areas.

    ReplyDelete