Thursday, November 8, 2012

Thursday's Tip

I'm sure many of you read the recent news that George Lucas will donate the bulk of the proceeds of selling Lucasfilm to Disney to his "philanthropic endeavors." This charitable act reminds me of one of my favorite Disney tips: pay it forward. What does that look like, in real terms? Well, I'd like to think it's what I do here every day by sharing my Disney knowledge with others. (FYI, I do not make money from this site. I have earned a few dollars--and I mean a few--from Amazon for purchases made from the site, but nothing beyond that. My meager income is from clients who pay me to plan their trips.) Other ways we like to "share" Disney with others are pretty simple--and anyone can do them. Here are a few ideas:

  • Keep a few extra cheap rain ponchos in your park bag. When the inevitable Florida shower starts, hand them out to guests without them.

  • Buy a couple of packages of glow bracelets to pass out to kiddos waiting for the night parade to begin.

  • Aren't going to make it over to Space Mountain to use that FastPass? Give it to another guest.

  • When it's really crowded at a counter service restaurant, don't dawdle over your food. Be aware of those waiting on tables, and let them know when you're cleaning up and about to leave.

  • If you hear guests asking themselves a question you know the answer to, talk to them! Your advice might save them some time or money.

  • Offer your seat on a bus or monorail to the haggard mother carrying her heavy two-year-old. Or anyone...just because.

  • If you're leaving for the day and sure you're not coming back, offer your rental stroller to a family coming in for the evening.

  • Instead of holding a place in line for your entire family of 12 who went to the restroom, let others go around you and don't worry about the ten minutes you lost.

  • In general, give up the best seat...the best place in line...the best anything for someone else.


I'm as guilty as anyone about wanting to have the best experience for myself and my family at Walt Disney World. But I find that the more trips I take, the less important it is for me to have the best, and the more joy I get from seeing others have a wonderful experience. It only takes a small gesture to help someone else have a magical day.

3 comments:

  1. Love these ideas! Another idea I read about : If you buy a balloon at the parks have it refilled on the final day of your vacation and give it to someone else. Chances are you won't or can't take it with you in the car or plane. After all who doesn't love a Disney balloon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] for myself and my family at Walt Disney World. But I find that … … Visit link: Thursday's Tip :Affording the Mou$e ← History in the Parks: Pangani- Africa or Animal … – the Disney Moms The [...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all of your ideas! On our last trip I had people pay it forward to me and my family in some of the ways you described and we paid it forward in several of those ways as well. Something about Disney makes me want to spread joy around so this time I bought an extra set of trading pins on eBay figuring that my son will use one set to trade and we will hand out pins to other children we see around the parks. At less than $1/pin it's a very inexpensive way to share some Disney Magic! :)

    ReplyDelete