Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Woman Sues over Bad "Trip"

This one takes the term "frivolous lawsuit" to new heights for me. Stitch Kingdom is reporting that a woman is suing Disney because she tripped and fell along a walkway in Epcot. Apparently, this fall caused her "pain, shock and mental anguish" and she seems to think it's worth exactly (cue Dr. Evil voice) "one million dollars." OK, let me just say that when a company is actually negligent and creates a dangerous environment, I'm all for making them pay. I can even point to Disney on some recent situations where they may have put the bottom line ahead of safety of their Cast Members. (But let's not go there again.) Still, as someone who has traveled every public inch of the Disney Parks, I have been witness to the care that goes into making them both safe and attractive. I can't imagine even a piece of trash lasting more than an hour on Disney property without a Cast Member picking it up, much less any dangerous unnamed stumbling block...whatever that may have been. Now, if you can show me affidavits from another dozen people who fell in the same spot, I will apologize profusely to the plaintiff and take up her cause. But unless and until that happens, here's what I think: Accidents happen. I'm sorry you had a fall. That stinks. But get up and get over it. And try to be a little more careful next time.

Sheesh...whatever happened to personal responsibility?

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully, her frivolous lawsuit will be thrown out of court, as it should. And furthermore, I hope she is required to pay Disney's legal fees for filing such a ridiculous and outlandish lawsuit. Unfortunately, the case may just be settled out of court, with no admission of guilt. Given the time and cost of a lawsuit, it may be cheaper to just pay her off with a settlement. And face it, that's probably all this woman wants anyway is MONEY. All I can say is that lady better watch out for karma.

    ReplyDelete