Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Favreau Ditches Iron Man for Magic Kingdom

I've been a fan of Jon Favreau since Swingers ("You're money, and you don't even know it") which he starred in and wrote. And I fell in love all over again with Elf. So I was pretty psyched to learn that he would be directing the new movie about Disneyland, Magic Kingdom. (Too bad for all the Iron Man fans who will have a new director for the next installment of that series.)

Favreau says the story is “essentially a family caught in Disneyland, bringing all of the attractions to life. I really want to plumb the depths of the history of the park because it’s a place I love to go a few times a year.”

Favreau shared a bit of his preparation and inspiration for how he'll approach the movie in a recent interview: “I said, look I’ve got to watch every Disney property. I started with Steamboat Willie working my way all the way up. I really want to focus on the classic stuff like Dumbo, Steamboat Willie, all the early black and white Mickey Mouse cartoons – all the Fantasyland stuff. I think there was something timeless about what Walt did and I want to explore, not just Disneyland, but Walt’s vision of Disneyland. If you look at his concept art it diverges a little bit from what the park turned into over time; but if you look at his original concept art and really explore what that world is, I think there is something really fun and magical to be done there.”

Magic Kingdom is slated for a 2013 release. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment