Thursday, May 31, 2012

I Love This Kid!

Brendan Haas Memorial Day

Wow! It's all I can do to stifle the tears when I see what one 9-year-old did this morning on Good Morning America. The story had me at "Disney"--but I had no idea what I was in for. Here's the basic story: Brendan Haas was inspired by the Red Paper Clip (a guy made a series of trades that took him from a red paper clip to a house!) to do something similar--start with a toy soldier and keep trading up until he got a trip to Walt Disney World that he could give away to a military family. He accomplished his goal, and a family was chosen from a pool of deserving military families via drawing. Here's the initial story.

Already this young man has inspired and impressed me. But it gets better! Brendan was featured on Good Morning America this morning, and Robin Roberts had the privilege of telling him that Disney would provide a free trip to WDW to him and his family, including making him an honorary citizen of Walt Disney World--all the VIP treatment he deserves for his selfless act. So what did he do? He gave it away. He said he couldn't accept the trip, but that he had plenty of other families that could use it. Amazing kid. Truly.

I have a nearly 9-year-old daughter. She is kind and often generous. But I cannot imagine a scenario where she would give up two trips to Disney World. Brendan Haas amazes me. I want to be him when I grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment