Monday, January 25, 2010

Before You Post that Vacation Video...



One of my favorite ways to "experience" Walt Disney World while I'm away is watching our home videos from previous trips. I also enjoy searching YouTube for a particular attraction/show if I'm wondering about its appropriateness for my children. But sharing your vacation videos from WDW just might get you in hot water with the Mouse House. Why? Well, it's all about intellectual property. And the definition on that one is pretty vague. So vague, in fact, that Disney's policy doesn't specify what constitutes a violation and what legal action might be taken against said violation.

Not posting video of the entire Beauty & the Beast show is kind of a no-brainer. But, how about video of your ride through Space Mountain? That's a fuzzy area, apparently. Confused? Me too. And I'm not sure there will be a clearer answer unless and until we see an actual lawsuit of this kind.  In the mean time, I found this article on the subject to be quite interesting.

While I understand the dilemma--and as a musician myself, I have a great appreciation for the "intellectual property" argument--I find the idea of Disney going after families for posting their vacation videos to be a bit absurd. Can anyone actually argue that watching a video of The Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacularis in any way akin to actually seeing the show live? Does Disney really think YouTube is going to cause people to stop coming to WDW, and instead opt to stay home and watch it on their computer? C'mon, guys. Really? I'm just sayin'...

No comments:

Post a Comment