Sunday, September 6, 2009

Theme Park Etiquette

This post could just as easily be titled "My Theme Park Pet Peeves," as it mostly describes the behavior that I find annoying while visiting Walt Disney World. And while I know that none of my readers are that person, I thought you might enjoy commiserating with me about him or her. So, here's my list of annoying behavior (most of which I have personally witnessed):
  • The Mob Stop: This is when a group of, say, six or more people stop suddenly in the middle of the walkway--usually to have a discussion about where to eat, what attraction to visit next, or to argue about the closest path to said attraction. Hey, let's keep it moving, people! Or remove yourselves from the path and continue your discussion on one of the fine benches that are readily available throughout the parks.
  • The Wall: A close cousin to the Mob Stop, the Wall is a group of people walking slowly across a path five- or six-wide...thereby prohibiting faster walkers from passing. C'mon! Part like the Red Sea, people!
  • Totem Poles: Sticking with the theme of blocking, these are the folks who, just minutes before a parade or street performance is about to begin, pop a toddler up onto their shoulders, thus blocking your previously perfect view. Seriously? So not OK!
  • Photog Hogs: You've seen 'em...you've waited for 'em...the guy who needs just one more shot of his kid with Cinderella. Oh, and one with just the baby...now one with the oldest...oh, and could you take one of all of us? Uh...no. Get your picture, and then get going!
  • The Flasher: Really, how many times do they have to repeat the "No Flash Photography" request to get through to some people? Hey, Mr. Flasher Dude, you can buy a postcard of that scene in the gift shop on the way out, 'kay? And it will be flawless. So let's just follow directions from now on, 'kay?

This is, of course, just a start. I haven't even covered the area of line-jumping (which has so many variations that perhaps it warrants an entire post of its own). What about you? Got any theme park pet peeves you'd like to share? Just remember, this is a family site. Let's keep it clean!

2 comments:

  1. I really have to agree with you about the people who don't turn their flashes off. Not only does it upset my eyes but it ruins my pictures. Flashes do not help your pictures of the fireworks or the night parades!

    I need to add the hemmers and hawwers. You know the people that never have quite decided on things when they get to the front of the line. "Oh What do I want for dinner?" "Where do I want to sit?" "What bathroom stall do I want?" Really? You couldn't have already figured that out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 more, The Chain. "Let's make sure no one gets lost and never let go of each other's hands." Always in the way.

    ReplyDelete