Sunday, April 19, 2009

Consultant vs. Travel Agent


Why did I choose to become a vacation consultant, rather than a travel agent? For starters, I believe that the traditional career as a travel agent is nearly obsolete. Not that many years ago, when you wanted to plan a vacation, the obvious choice was to visit your local travel agent. He or she had brochures and information on every imaginable travel destination. You could hear your flight options, pricing, and all the details rght there in the office. It was magical, wasn't it? Nobody really understood where all that information came from, but didn't you feel like the travel agent was some sort of exotic genius?

But now, with the widespread availability of the internet, all that informaton that was once so mystical and secretive is now available to the general public. You or I can log onto any number of travel sites and get flight schedules and pricing for multiple airlines at once. You can compare hotel prices and amenities for every hotel in a specific location.

And while it is a travel agent's job to know everything about your destination and get you the best deal possible, it's a nearly impossible task to accomplish for every destination. By hiring a Disney vacation consultant, you get someone who devotes all her research and expertise to one fabulous corner of the world: Walt Disney World, that is! Disney World is all I do. All Disney. All the time. (Yes, there are a few Disney-specific travel agencies out there, and many of them are very good. I still contend that their emphasis is not always on getting you the best deal possible. Mine is.)

Finally, by being a consultant, I can work with you in a number of ways. I can spend an hour with you and give you the tools you need to plan your own perfect itinerary. Or you can spend a few hours at one of my Boot Camps and have a pretty good plan already mapped out. But if saving time and hassle is more of a concern to you than saving money, I will handle it all: resort reservations, ADRs (that's Advanced Dining Reservations for those who don't speak Disney), and even give you a customized touring plan for your time in the parks.

Consulting fees start at $40/hour. My Disney 101 Boot Camp is $125 for a three-hour seminar plus an additional 30-minute private consulation. Full vacation services begin at $200 and vary according to the services you require and length of stay.

My goal is to save you time and money. I'm confident I can do that--so confident that I guarantee my fees. If you're interesed in planning your own Disney dream vacation, I'd love to hear from you!

affordingthemouse@att.net

2 comments:

  1. Valerie,
    Thanks so much for all your help planning our trip! The kids absolutely LOVED riding up front on the monorail--I would never have known to do that if you hadn't suggested it. I really appreciate your help, and your passion for Disney is infectious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all of your Disney tips that you have shared. I can't wait to take my Disney vacation in the fall.

    ReplyDelete