Friday, October 9, 2009

No More Seat-Saving at 4 MK Locations

You know 'em. Those people who put purses, hats, and backpacks in every chair of a table for ten with one lonely "seat-saver" guarding the table. Maybe you've even been them. Who am I kidding? I've been them! Well, Disney wants to eliminate this practice, as they claim it clogs up to 1/3 of a restaurant's seating capacity.

A new program--"The Basics"--is being tested at four Magic Kingdom locations: Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe, Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe, Columbia Harbour House, and Pinocchio Village Haus. Guests will now enter through a specific entrance of each restaurant and be met by a greeter. Menus are distributed, and guests are directed to the cash registers to order. With food in hand, they are then seated by another employee.

So, what about guests who just want to get off their feet--or parents who don't want to struggle with wiggly toddlers during the ordering process? It would seem they would be out of luck, at least at these locations. Signage outside Pecos Bill's reads: "Welcome. Our tables are reserved for guests who have received their food. Once you have received your food, we will help direct you to a table."

But while Disney is adding employees to help with seating, apparently they're eliminating the help with ordering. Pecos Bill's will now feature self-ordering kiosks.

Oh, and just one more change: roomy chairs with backs have been replaced with smaller, backless stools, allowing for an extra chair to be placed at each table. Hmmm...further motivation for you to "eat and run"?

I'm all for maximizing my time in the parks, but I'm not sure I'm a fan of these changes. I'll let you know what I think after my visit to the parks in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment